The Bus, the Sleep, and the Soup: A Day of Everyday Exhaustion

A humor chronicle about routine fatigue, urban transport, and the quiet absurdity of daily survival.

A man with short dark hair and a medium beard sits at a wooden dining table in a minimalist home, looking toward a television showing two shelter dogs playing. A bowl of vegetable soup, a bottle of water, whole-grain crackers, a glass, and a smartphone rest on the table as his tired expression reflects the quiet mental exhaustion of everyday life.

Editorial illustration — A quiet dinner after an exhausting day: a warm bowl of soup, a peaceful home, and the silent expression of mental fatigue that says more than words. Created for The Global Report One.

Ok, it’s time to sleep. Two hours later I can close my eyes and I’m already halfway into sleep, hearing myself snore and thinking: “this is strange… this is sleep vigilance.”

I wake up and always get up with my right foot first. I start walking, but the body has its own logic: the moment you stand up, an urgent need to go to the bathroom appears immediately.

I run in total silence, as if the world should not notice. Along the way, I see a light on under a door. I say nothing. I just survive. Meanwhile, I desperately look for a plastic bottle that becomes an improvised emergency solution.

Then I think: alright, that’s it. I get dressed, open the bus app, and see it is ten blocks away. I get ready quickly, confident: “I’ll make it, it’s close.”

The bus appears like a mad rocket and passes right in front of me. Without stopping. I’m silently swearing, as if the universe could actually hear me.

I wait one hour for the next one.

Eventually I move. Headphones on. Jazz in my ears. Not for pleasure, but as a mental reset system to bring my brain out of standby mode.

The day begins. The work continues. And the afternoon returns.

At the bus stop, I raise my hand to stop the bus… but the driver responds with a “not today” signal and keeps going.

And that’s when the real bus arrives: the crowded one.

I get on.

The interior is packed. Standing people, pressed bodies, awkward silence, lost gazes. That collective moment where nobody wants to exist too visibly.

I try to find a small space, but the ride becomes a choreography of gentle pushes and shared resignation. My face is no longer a face: it is a mental state.

I finally get home.

I stand in front of the door. My mother is inside but does not hear me. I wait. No battery. No communication. Just me and silence.

When the door finally opens, my body releases itself, as if it only then remembers it had been holding on all day.

I go in.

And then comes the simplest moment of the day: food.

A hot soup. Vegetables. Cold outside. Silence inside.

I don’t know exactly when it happened… but my face ended up in the bowl.

I fell asleep in a millisecond.

Life is like this: sometimes joyful, sometimes chaotic, sometimes exhausting… and sometimes it simply finds you asleep inside a bowl of soup.

References

  • Urban commuting experience
  • Daily labor fatigue and routine cycles
  • Contemporary narrative journalism style
  • Humor in everyday survival situations

Published by THE GLOBAL REPORT ONE | July 15, 2026